Detoxification is the removal of toxic substances from the human body
Toxins are poisonous substances that a person can be exposed to in the environment, outside the body, but also can be created within the body itself. The body naturally detoxifies itself all the time through the skin, the liver, the kidneys, the lymphatic system, and the digestive tract. However, many people with chronic health conditions like Lyme disease, mold illness, or environmentally acquired illness, need extra detoxification support. An emphasis on detoxification can also help clear toxins that are impeding the immune system, particularly helpful for everyone, healthy or not when facing a global pandemic.
At my Utah-based Restore BioClinic, we offer colon hydrotherapy or colonics. They are an excellent way to assist the body in detoxification through the colon. Many of our IV services also help with detox as well. However, since many of us are under stay-at-home orders, I wanted to give you all some detox tips that are more accessible. These are inexpensive ways to detox at home.
1. Coffee enemas – coffee enemas are a procedure where you use an enema kit to place coffee into your rectum. This is one of the most effective ways to assist your body in detoxing. Not only will this help you literally flush toxins out of your digestive tract, but it also helps to stimulate the liver. The main goal of a coffee enema is to detoxify your liver. For detailed instructions, click here.
2. Warm lemon water – Take room temperature or slightly warmed water and squeeze some lemon into it. The more lemon the better. Drink it first thing in the morning and throughout the day. The benefit of doing it first thing in the morning is that you hydrate your body immediately upon waking but you also kick start your liver and digestive tract.
3. Food – Make sure you keep a lot of vegetables in your diet to help you detox. This will provide a lot of fiber for toxins to move throughout the digestive tract. Bitter green vegetables will help your liver function better. You really can’t go wrong with eating a lot of vegetables when detoxing, but I’d recommend you stick with more green, leafy vegetables and minimize starchy vegetables.
4. Massage – Massage is a great way to mobilize toxins that have been stuck in tissues like fat, fascia, and muscle. Although, it may be difficult to access a massage therapist while you’re under a stay-at-home order, ask friends or family to give you a massage. Once these toxins are mobilized, don’t forget to get to take Binder Blend to bind up the toxins and then perform a coffee enema to help remove the toxins from the body.
5. Epsom salt bath – I recommend getting plain Epsom salt. Some contain fragrances that are made of toxic chemicals so you want to avoid that. The Epsom salt contains magnesium which is great for the body aches and nervous system issues, but it also helps keep your digestive tract functioning properly which, of course, helps with detoxification.
6. Exercise & movement – you’ve got to keep your body moving to continue to detox and heal. I know how hard this is when your energy is absolutely zapped. There is nothing more you’d rather do than stay in bed some days. But gentle movement and exercise are really beneficial for healing. If you can, go for a slow short walk. If that’s too much, try gentle stretching and moving and rotating joints.
7. Hydration – drink plenty of water. This will aid in digestion, bring nutrients to your cells, and helps flush waste out of the body.
8. Lymph movement – we are working on a whole email just about the lymphatic system, but we will mention it here as well. Get your lymph moving with yoga, walking, rebounding on a trampoline (or even jumping in place), or even self lymph massage to help your body detox.
There are a number of supplements that I formulated specifically for detoxification with my product line Return Healthy. They are:
Binder Blend – Binder Blend promotes detoxification by trapping toxins and moving them out of the body through the digestive tract. It supports digestive health and cleansing. It is formulated as a binding agent to reduce die-off, or Herxheimer reactions, by assisting the body in detoxification.
Bio-Assist – currently on backorder until late-April – Bio-Assist is a multi-functional herbal blend that supports and protects organs. The blend of herbs and extracts is designed to support the organs while optimizing their functioning. This supplement aids in the detoxification of various organs, especially the liver, bile ducts, digestive tract, and kidneys.
S-Acetyl Glutathione supports detoxification through the liver. It protects against free radicals and promotes cellular function and protects cells against damage.
Power MultiMix is a protein powder that contains a comprehensive combination of nutrients, antioxidants, herbs, fiber, and fruit and vegetable extracts that support the overall metabolic detoxification process while balancing phase I and II detoxification pathways.